The following list outlines hardware that the OpenBSD project could use.
There are a number of reasons why developers need hardware, and it is important
to first of all realize these reasons:
- To support a specific device, normally one which is more rare or new.
- To be part of their development environment.
- Some types of machines may be different in some way
(i.e. big-endian or unsigned-char) and ensure that developers
write code more carefully.
- That said, space or power may be at a premium for some people.
If you do not own these devices, but want to help us, we recommend you
search on eBay for the devices. If
you do the bidding and then get the device shipped to us, it really
helps us. It is better if developers develop, and skip the bidding process,
since any time saved can be spent on improving OpenBSD instead.
If it is clear which specific developer should be contacted, please do
so directly. Otherwise contact Theo de Raadt
who will pass on the message to whichever developers are in need.
Please be very clear as to where you are located!! For larger items this
can be very important.
Specific developers to contact for various reasons
If you do not get a response from these developers, please consider
contacting another developer.
- firstname.lastname@example.org for "older hardware" in Europe.
- email@example.com for any general offers or questions.
General device requirements.
We try to spread these types of devices around our development community.
- Narrow SCSI disk drives of 2GB or more, 3.5" size.
(Narrow SCSI means 50pin).
Many developers are running out of these drives, which are needed
to continue supporting older hardware.
- Laptops. These die often enough that our developers need about 2-3
replacements a year.
- Apple Mac powerpc equipment.
- HP J6750 machines (J6700 is the second best choice).
- Faster & smaller sparc64 machines, for instance 1U rack mount
machines. It is important to spread sparc64 around the development
community, since it is the most strict platform for detecting non-portable
or buggy code.
- Any amd64 or faster i386 hardware which comes available.
- We generally do not need older and "very common" ISA/PCI equipment, since
our developers will generally have gotten their hands on these in the
David Gwynne (in Australia) would like a couple of NVMe devices
to further develop the nvme(4) driver with.
- 1x Samsung m.2 NVMe SSD
- 1x PCI-e to m.2 adapter
- 1x PCI-e SSD
10Gb Ethernet Support
David Gwynne (in Australia), Mike Belopuhov (in Germany), and Claudio Jeker (in
Switzerland) are working on support for 10 Gigabit Ethernet devices. These
developers would like the following hardware to help development:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10GbaseSR SFP+ modules for use in 10Gb network cards
- Switches with 10Gb modules for hacking
- Direct Attach (SFP+) and CX4 cabling
- optical cabling with LC connectors (for 10GbaseSR and 10GbaseLR)
- Broadcom, Emulex (ServerEngines) and QLogic 10Gb NICs for driver
Specific platform requests by our developers
- Two DRAC (remote access cards) for Dell 1750 servers.
- A loongson system with HDD is needed in Spain for ports testing. Only
shipments from EU.
- A loongson system for gcc (ports) development is needed in Germany.
- A fast SparcStation 20 for building and testing would be helpful (Germany).
Fast CPU modules and network cards are welcome, too. Contact
Specific cards needed by our developers
- An ATI/AMD Radeon fanless PCI-Express card is needed in Spain. Only models
HD4000 or greater and fully supported by OpenBSD.
Specific devices and equipment needed by our developers
- Sun StorEdge MultiPack-FC desktop array needed in Assen, The Netherlands.
- A variety pack of shortish (SFP connectors on at least one end) fibers
wanted in Calgary.
- Any USB SuperSpeed (3.0) device using isochronous transfers, generally
webcams or cameras, needed in Aachen, Germany.
- Thinkpad X61s screen is needed in Spain (or a broken laptop with
the screen in good condition). Contact email@example.com.
- A development laptop (thinkpad X201 or newer) is needed in Nantes,
France. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.